Erin Askeland, CPDT-KA, CBCC-KACategories:Posted By
Celebrate National Dessert Day with this Puppy Parfait Recipe
On October 14th, we get to celebrate National Dessert Day! Who doesn’t love a sweet treat every once in a while? To help all of you celebrate with your pups, we wanted to share this paw-fect puppy autumn parfait recipe!
What you’ll need:
- Small, plastic or paper cups (clear plastic shows the fancy layers) that hold between ½ and 1 cup of food
- Canned pumpkin, sweet potato, applesauce, or mashed banana (no sugar added)
- Plain, nonfat/low fat Greek yogurt (no sugar added)
- Your pup’s favorite dog biscuits
- We love Whole Paws Peanut Butter Biscuits
- Whipped cream (or whipped cream cheese)
- Small, soft or freeze-dried treats for garnish
- We love Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Turkey Giblets
Put it together:
- Start by crushing your dog’s favorite biscuit into small pieces
- Try placing these in a baggie and crushing with a rolling pin
- Create a layer of crushed dog biscuit in the cups, just enough to cover the bottom
- Spoon 2-3 TBS of your pumpkin (or other mashed fruit or veggie of choice) over top of the crushed biscuits and smooth with the spoon
- Create your next layer with 2-3TBS of yogurt
- Keep layering in this pattern until the cup is full
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with a few soft or freeze-dried treats!
- You can make multiple of these at once if you have several pups in the house or scale the size based on your pup's size.
- Remember when avoiding added sugar that this means ALL types of sugar including synthetic, natural, or sugar substitutes.
- You could also mix the yogurt with your choice of fruit or veggie as a swirl!
- These can also be covered and frozen for future use or put into a Kong toy.
- Make sure pups are supervised if you use plastic cups to ensure they don’t chew them up.