Create Your Own Dog Artwork at Home
Want a fun activity for your pup that results in that a piece of art that you can cherish forever? Try out a Peanut Butter Picasso at home! Our Campers loved creating their own art in a special individual enrichment session at Camps throughout the country, and we wanted to share how you can replicate this at home. It’s a great activity for a hot summer day when your pup needs something to do, and it also creates a special keepsake from your pup to you.
How to Create a Peanut Butter Picasso
- Canvas (must fit in zip lock bag)
- Zip lock bag
- We recommend a 1 – gallon size for medium or large dogs and a 1 – quart for small dogs, however, it depends how large you want your painting!
- Water-based, child-safe paints
- Dog-safe peanut butter
- Squeeze cheese or cream cheese are also good options
- Small spatula
- Use the spatula to smear a thin layer of peanut butter (or other spread) on one side of the outside of your zip lock bag
- Choose your paint colors and squeeze a small amount of each onto your canvas
- You may do circles near each other or strips
- Carefully slide the canvas into the zip lock bag and seal it (be sure to release any excess air from the bag)
- The zip lock bag will come to rest on top of the paint inside
- Let your pup start licking the outside of the zip lock bag!
- As the peanut butter is licked, the paint inside the bag smears on the canvas
- When your pup is done licking, remove the canvas from the bag and set aside to dry
- Use a sharpie to date it and “sign” your pup’s name!
- For a longer-lasting activity, freeze the zip lock bag with smear for a few hours first
- To anchor the zip lock and canvas, you can use removeable, double-sided Velcro strips on a no-slip rug or mat (attached to the bag and to the mat)
- You may also hold the bagged canvas up for your pup instead of placing it on the ground
- Silicone zip lock bags can work as well for repeat activities
We hope you enjoy creating your Peanut Butter Picassos! Feel free to share your pup’s artwork on social media and tag us #campbowwow