Grooming Tips to Keep Your Pup Looking and Feeling their Best
Doggy hygiene is an important part of pet ownership that can often get overlooked!
There is a wide range on how much bathing and grooming is necessary for a dog, and the answer may vary based on your dog’s:
- Coat length
- Coat type – double coat, fur that resembles hair, curly coat, etc.
- Lifestyle – contact with other dogs, living arrangement, time spent outdoors, etc.
- Ailments – allergies, skin sensitivities, parasites, dry skin, etc.
Regular bathing and coat care can help you identify and changes in skin conditions, alert to hot spots, rashes or irritation, and detect parasites. It also gives you a chance to discover any new lumps or bumps while also inspecting eye, ear and toenail health.
Ways to keep your dog’s coat and skin healthy:
- Select the right brush based on the type of fur – there are many combs, bristled brushes and de-shedding tools to choose from.
- Brush several times a week to to remove loose hair and dandruff and spread the coat’s natural oils for shine and overall coat health. Bonus: regular brushing can minimize excess hair falling off in your home.
- Look for signs your pup needs a bath - smell, oily skin and fur, dandruff or visible dirt.
- Brush out both before and after the bath to ensure tangles and mats are gone.
- Use dog-friendly shampoos designed to address a dog’s skin and pH levels (which are different from our own)
- Make sure to dry your dog well with a towel and don’t leave them to drip dry. Home hair dryers get too hot for a dog’s skin.
- Pick your desired cut - haircuts can vary from basic trims (face, feet, and tail) to a full, breed-specific cut.
- Keep areas trimmed that can block vision or elimination, or cause buildup of dirt, grass or debris.
- Help your pet’s coat stay in the best shape possible for their breed.
- Eliminate mats and tangles and lessen the need for other upkeep.
Let us do the dirty work!
Bathing and grooming at home can be stressful for you and your dog. Ditch the stress and mess by letting a Camp Bow Wow near you take care of your grooming needs!*
- No back pain leaning over your home tub or struggling with a hose in your yard
- No wet floors, sopping towels or clogged drains at home
- Dog-friendly, fresh shampoos and scents
- Pick up a squeaky-clean pup!
*Services vary by location