Dog Beach Tips
When taking your pup to the dog beach it is important to keep safety top of mind. Making sure you are prepped with the right necessities and vigilant about potential beach hazards, will allow you and your pup have a best time.
Starting with packing your bag with all the beach gear needed for your pup.
What to bring:
- Fresh water from home
- Dog water bottle or portable water bowl
- Umbrella or shade screen
- Beach blanket
- Plenty of towels
- Canine sunscreen
- Doggy life vest
- Bags to clean up after them
- Dog booties to protect their paws from the hot sand
- Doggles to shield their eyes from sun and salt
- Canine first aid kit
Next to having a fun trip to the beach with your pup, safety is an important consideration as well. Whether you and your dog are well-seasoned beach pals, or its your first time going together, here are some tips you may not have known.
Be on the lookout for:
- Liter, seashells, rocks, seaweed, and other debris that could be harmful to your dog if consumed or stepped on.
- Your dog trying to drink the ocean or lake water- providing enough fresh water from home can help alleviate this.
- Signs of overheating- avoid the susceptibility of heatstroke by providing your dog with plenty of water and shade while also avoiding the peak heat hours of the day.
- Deep waters or dangerous currents and flows- keep your dog in steady and more shallow waters while also arming them with a doggy life vest for added protection.
- Strong sun rays- protecting your dog from harmful sun rays by applying dog sunscreen beforehand and avoiding high noon playtime.
- Clear identification- on the off chance you lose sight of your dog, making sure they are wearing their collar with clear identification on their tag can help them return to safety. You can take this a step further by using a waterproof GPS collar attachment to track them down in case of an emergency.
Taking your dog to the beach is a great way to get outside and exercise your pup during the warmer months. We hope you found these tips helpful and have safe and fun time in the water this summer!