Open Accessibility Menu

Keep Your Dog Away From These Holiday Foods

Keep Your Dog Away From These Holiday Foods

One of the greatest parts of the holiday season is the food! While humans can indulge in all sorts of treats this time of year, it's important to understand that some of these foods are dangerous for dogs.

Be sure to keep an eye on your pup as you're bustling through the kitchen this month! You should take extra precautions to make sure the following foods are out of their reach:

Chocolate

All chocolate, including dark or baking chocolate, can be dangerous for dogs. The theobromine in chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, urination, tremors, and seizures.

Candy and Candy Wrappers

Candies often contain xylitol, which is a sugar alcohol that is extremely poisonous to dogs. Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, leading to loss of coordination and collapse. It can also cause liver failure.

Even if the candy itself doesn't contain xylitol, the wrappers can be just as dangerous. Dogs love to chew on things, and if they ingest foil or cellophane wrappers, they can suffer from intestinal blockages.

Animal Bones

While it may seem like a good idea to give your dog a bone to chew on, it can actually be hazardous. Animal bones can splinter and cause lacerations or blockages in your dog's digestive tract.

Dairy

Many dogs are lactose intolerant, and consuming dairy can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Keep the cheese plate away from your pup!

Nuts

Some nuts are safe for dogs in small quantities, and many dogs enjoy nut butter treats. However, some nuts are toxic to dogs or pose a choking risk and should be left off the menu. Avoid giving your dog macadamias, pistachios, black walnuts, and almonds.

Care for Your Pup This Season

The best way to keep your dog safe during the holidays is to make sure they don't have access to any human food. Keep an eye on them while you're cooking, and be sure to put leftovers away where they can't reach them.

If you think your dog has ingested something they shouldn't have, contact your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately. The sooner you get them treatment, the better their chances for a full recovery.

Happy holidays from all of us at Camp Bow Wow! Be sure to contact our team if you're in need of our services this season.

Categories: